Monday, November 7, 2011

Week 6 EOC: How do I see my role starting in the industry?


Surviving in the film industry is tough and having talent is just the start. It's a small and competitive industry and the key to success is ensuring that the right people know about you and what you can do - it's not necessarily who you know, but who knows you.*

How do I see my role starting in the industry? I see myself starting in the industry as a peon. Someone low on the totem pole. My experience in the industry so far confirms that the aforementioned quote is so true. I was able to work on the set of Katy Perry’s “Waking up in Vegas” music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-pUaogoX5o). I got that job through a contact I had met at the school. My friend had gotten to know the career services staff that, in turn, knew the people in town from the production company from Las Angeles who were in town to make the video.
Once my friend got hired on, he was looking for extra hands to help assist in the creation of the video. I was the first person called to become a production assistant on the set. From there, I met the art director who would love to work with me again. So I was able to get an in with HSI (LA).

The film industry exists on word of mouth - you'll find employment from people putting you up for work and you'll soon realize you're only as good as your last job. You have to work at raising your profile if you want to find the right opportunities.*

         I believe this best way to create business, especially in the freelance community. 


No comments:

Post a Comment